Quarterly Report: What I've Read Recently ...


I've been a really voracious reader these past three months! I'm not quite sure what's gotten into me - but I've certainly made up for the lack of reading I was doing over the winter months. I've read fairly widely throughout these past four months, but by far my most popular genre (and subgenre) was the historical romance. From YA (see Biggs Waller) to the more literary offerings by Susanna Kearsley, I feel like I've been reading my way through history. Couple that with the few non-fiction titles I've read this quarter, I'm certainly quenching my thirst for history. If you're interested, here is my quarterly report for the first few months of 2014, (and check out the archives for all 2013 issues!) otherwise - read on to see what I've been reading recently!


APRIL
A mad, wicked folly / Sharon Biggs Waller
Between the devil and Ian Eversea / Julie Anne Long
After the scandal / Elizabeth Essex
The winter sea / Susanna Kearsley [audiobook]
The perils of pleasure / Julie Anne Long
Off the record / K. A. Linde
How the marquess was won / Julie Anne Long
If you give a rake a ruby / Shana Galen

MAY
The firebird / Susanna Kearsley [audiobook]
God's doodle: the life and times of the penis / Tom Hickman
Island peril / Jill Sorenson
It happened one wedding / Julie James
In want of a wife / Jo Goodman
Sapphires are an Earl's best friend / Shana Galen
Guns, germs, and steel / Jared Diamond [audiobook]
Salvation / Stephanie Tyler
Servants: A downstairs view of twentieth-century Britain / Lucy Lethbridge
Mariana / Susanna Kearsley

JUNE
The shadowy horses / Susanna Kearsley
Devil's game / Joanna Wylde
Biggest flirts / Jennifer Echols
Melting the ice / Jaci Burton
Since you've been gone / Morgan Matson
Fables, v.19: Snow White / Bill Willingham et al.
The son / Philipp Meyer [audiobook]
The heiresses / Sara Shepard
Carrier / Anne Tibbets
Never have I ever: my life (so far) without a date / Katie Heaney
Is everyone hanging out without me? (and other concerns) / Mindy Kaling [audiobook]
On the surface / Kate Willoughby

I have a feeling that a lot of these titles are going to be featured in my favourite reads of 2014 by the end of the year - yep, they were that good. My favourite read of this quarter? It's so tough to choose - I read so many good ones - but I think I'll have to settle on The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. It was an excellent blend of historical and contemporary without overdoing the fantasy aspect of it all. And very well researched, which seems like it might be a basic thing, but can be fascinating in fiction when done really well.

So, what have you read recently that you really enjoyed? Or, perhaps not so much?

No comments:

Post a Comment